REST (Respite Education and Support Tools) is an evidence-based respite-training program that prepares individuals to conduct respite training, equipping REST Companions to provide respite in order to support caregivers who are caring for people with disabilities and healthcare needs across the lifespan.
• REST Master Trainer: prepares qualified REST trainers conduct the two day REST Train-the-Trainer.
• REST Train-the-Trainer: prepares participants to conduct the eight- and four- hour REST Companion™ course to train paid and unpaid respite workers.
• REST Companion Course: an eight-hour course that provides education directly to people who serve care receivers one-on-one.
• REST Essentials™ Course: a four-hour program that prepares volunteers or paid respite workers to provide respite in supervised group settings, such as adult daycare, drop-off or camp programs.
• REST Essentials online: online training designed to give students a strong command of the ten core competencies of respite. Course is appropriate for professionals who wish to increase their knowledge and skills in the area of respite, as well as family, friends, and volunteers who want to provide respite in a supervised community setting. Click here to link to course.
Since launching in 2013, REST has:
• Trainers in 29 states and Canada to date.
• Customized to meet an organization’s specific needs and goals.
• Training materials are available in English & Spanish.
• Approved by Continuing Education Institute of Illinois for CE hours. Click here for more information.
Core Competencies align with the National Respite Guidelines:
• What is Respite, Role of Respite Worker
• Coping Strategies for You and the Caregiver
• Communication Techniques
• Respecting Independence and Abilities of Care Receiver
• Family Diversity
• Adapting Activities
• Universal Precautions
• Abuse/Neglect and Crisis Intervention
• Understanding Behaviors
Representatives from senior services and healthcare organizations, Area Agencies on Aging, faith-based organizations, adult daycare, or other social service organizations are utilizing this training in their own communities.
• Research Study & Article click here
• Train-the-Trainer Agenda click here
• REST Companion Agenda click here
• REST Essentials Agenda click here
• CE Flyer click here